Monday, February 08, 2010

THE HUSBAND TREE by Mary Connealy

I won Mary Connealy's book The Husband Tree in a contest. And I promised her I'd even try and read the book. But I didn't have to try. From the first line I was drawn in. I got the book in the mail and finished it within three hours the same day. Now I know what the buzz is about.

The Husband Tree is the story about, Belle, a woman who lives in a hard country, Montana. After marrying and burying three husband's, and raising her four daughter's, she's become as hard as the country in which she dwells. Men have given her nothing but grief and she's decided that she doesn't need help from any no account males. Belle can take care of herself , and her daughters. She's done so for years.

Silas Harding, has lost in love himself. And in the process was forced to leave his home just to get away from the no account females in his life. He decides women are nothing but trouble and life would be better spent with out one in it.

His metal is tested when he signs on to drive cattle with Belle and her daughters (who are all memorable in their own right). At first, dealing with the contankerous lot of stubborn females, Silas is certain he'll be able to hold true to his promise and never care for a woman again. But Belle isn't anything like the whiny, weak women of Silas' past, she doesn't use her wiles on him, doesn't try to trap him and turn his head. No Belle plum confuses him, because She doesn't need him or want him for nothing more but a hired hand. So why does he find himself falling for her?

And strangely, once Silas begins to help on the drive and take care of her and her girls, Belle finds herself questioning her vow to never marry again. Silas has done more for her in a month than any of her husbands before. He heart opens toward him, but she wonders if a man can truly be trusted.

Even her daughter's hearts begin to thaw under the warmth and care that Silas gives them.

I don't want to give the story away. But The Husband Tree is funny and heartwarming. Mary Connealy has spun a tale that will pull you in and take you along for a wonderful ride. Let me encourage you to take the ride.

5 comments:

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Tina, sounds like an intriguing story. The setting is interesting. I can tell you enjoyed the book very much. Sounds like there are some great characters in it!

Smiles
Steph

Lucie said...

Thank you for the review. I really want to read this book too! Our book club, The Chick Lit Book Club & Review, just read her book Cowboy Christmas and it was a hit!

Stop by my blog anytime I'd love to have you :-)

Blessings,
Lucie

http://luciesbookreview.blogspot.com/

Pepper said...

Oh yeah! A GREEEAT book - loved it. Now between your great review and Mary's awesome romantic humor, I do believe it's a fantastic combo. Of course, Tina, your wit is quite sharp too - so...
I'm going to have to pick up one of your books and do a review (brow wiggle ;-)
Especially since sarcasm is one of my favorite character traits in friends :-)

Carol said...

This is my first time reading your blog and I'm really enjoying it!! Loved the review of "The Husband Tree" and have added the book to my list. Do you think there will be sequels about the daughters? I love reading series books. I'll be looking for your books now too!

Carol

Tina Pinson said...

Carol,
Thanks so much for coming by.


Not really sure if Mary Connealy is coming out with sequels that deal mainly with the daughters. There is one that has to do with Wade and Glowing Sun, which may cover some about Bette and the daughters. And there is a previous book in the series as well. If you check out her site there is more information.

http://mconnealy.blogspot.com/